Friday 16 July 2010

MD'S TOUR DIARY. IBIZA/ SPAIN, JULY '10
























































On Tuesday 6th July I headed off to handle a Spanish double-bill, kicking off with an ever-welcome return to Soul City in Ibiza. The venue remains the island's original spot for R&B, hip-hop and everything in between since being introduced by owner/ manager Julian in 1993.

Last year, Soul City faced some competition from Twice As Nice, who opened their own bar, 2Nice, just a couple of streets away in San Antonio's West End. This year, TAN top man Steve Gordon has moved the operation to directly opposite Soul City, dealing with the same music mix. Happily, Soul City's reputation precedes it, and early results indicate that it's more than holding its own in terms of punter numbers. I popped in for a look at 2Nice where former Soul City resident Killa Kutz now plays. Also in the house was former Rampage cohort Dr. Psycho, and Gemma Bissix, who used to play Claire in Eastenders.

Back at Soul City, I followed resident Mister I on to the decks at 2am, playing all the way to closing at 6, while DJ/ MC Horse handled the mic. It was one of my most enjoyable sessions at Soul City, and one of the strongest of the year so far.

I managed a small amount of sleep at the Bellamar Hotel, round the bay in San An, before meeting Mister I and his girlfriend for some lunch, then setting off for a Vueling flight to a stiflingly sweaty Barcelona. The plan was to spin at the midweek black music jam at Bikini, where I'd spun two years before. I had trouble getting a cab from my hotel, and by the time I'd reached the venue it was after 2am. I wasn't expecting this to be a problem, as the Spanish are known for partying late and Bikini runs to beyond 6. Unfortunately, DJ/ promoter Muly decided I was too late and that he didn't want me to play. A couple of years ago the lack of flexibility would have bothered me greatly, but becoming a Dad has given me a new perspective on what's really important in life. With this in mind, I took it in my stride and headed back to the hotel. Either way, Barcelona is a city I'm unlikely to visit again.

I flew home with Easyjet on Thursday 8th, reuniting with the girls. Once my session at The Second Bridge in Bath was done on the Saturday, we headed off for a few days' fam holiday, staying in a log cabin in North Wales. Much as I love the DJing and travelling, in my book, nothing compares to proper quality time with your nearest and dearest.

No comments: