Saturday 18 September 2010

MARK DEVLIN: THE SWEETEST DAY IN AUGUST/ UPLIFTING SOULFUL HOUSE MIX














Although I'm generally considered a hip-hop head, I've always enjoyed deep, soulful, funky and uplifting house too, so I've just exhumed this mix of those styles that I put together in 1997, (the mix's title is evidently a reference to Joe T Vannelli's 'The Sweetest Day In May', although this one was done in August. Do you see what I did there?) As I didn't have PC editing facilities in those days, this was done live in one take.

As I recall, I bought the vast majority of these records from Vinyl Mania and Dance Trax in New York, (remember vinyl, kids?) I also heard most of them on Danny Rampling's highly influential Love Groove Dance Party show on Radio 1 at the time. Not only were the 90s a golden decade for hip hop and R&B, it was also a fantastic time for this style of house music. How that decade is missed.

Download, absorb and enjoy.

SANDY B: WORLD GO ROUND (Deep Dish Mix)
TODD TERRY PROJECT: I'LL TAKE YOU TO LOVE
MILK & SUGAR: HIGHER AND HIGHER
BOBBY D'AMBROSIO Featuring MICHELLE WEEKS: MOMENT OF MY LIFE
MIKE DUNN: HE'S GONNA MAKE IT ALRIGHT
CHAKA KHAN: NEVER MISS THE WATER (FRANKIE KNUCKLES MIX)
LIL LOUIS & THE WORLD: CLAP YOUR HANDS
ALCKY: DANCE, DANCE, DANCE
ULTRA NATE: GET IT UP (THAT FEELING)
HARLEM HUSTLERS: GET ON DOWN
MIGHTY DUB KATZ: IT'S JUST ANOTHER GROOVE
H20 Featuring BILLIE: NOBODY'S BUSINESS
KNEE DEEP Featuring SHARLENE HECTOR: TAKE ME BY THE HAND
ANGELIQUE KIDJO: WOMBO LOMBO
TORI AMOS: PROFESSIONAL WIDOW (ARMAND VAN HELDEN MIX)
HUFF & PUFF: HELP ME MAKE IT
L.A. MIX: DON'T STOP (JAMMIN')

No comments: